Sedation for nervous patients
Are you a nervous patient?
We can help with that.
We offer IV sedation to help you feel calm and relaxed during your dental treatment.
This is currently available at the following practices:Cross Deep, Twickenham South Ham, Basingstoke
A few simple tips for nervous patients:
- Book an appointment in the morning, this will ensure you can relax and recover for the rest of the day.
- For regular appointments, make sure you have a good breakfast. This will set you up for the day and ensure your energy levels remain high.
- Refrain from drinking alcohol, as this dehydrates you and can also make you worry more.
- Bring a friend. Decide beforehand on what you are going to talk about that will help you relax keep calm. Perhaps discuss a recent holiday or one of your hobbies.
- Talk openly to us. We will not judge you or tell you off for not coming to see us… honestly
- Agree on a stop signal with us, this will ensure that YOU are in control.
What is intravenous (IV) sedation?
If you are nervous about having dental treatment or you are having a procedure which may be more complex, intravenous (IV) sedation is an effective and safe treatment.
- It will reduce your anxiety and make you feel relaxed.
- It will make you feel sleepy.
- It will make you less aware of the procedure.
- It will result in partial – or total loss of memory of the procedure.
Why do I need IV sedation?
It is an ideal way of helping you to relax if you are nervous about dental treatment.
What are the benefits?
While under IV sedation, you will feel deeply relaxed but you will still be able to understand and respond to requests from the dentist. However it is likely that you will not remember details of the procedure.
Are there any risks?
IV sedation is safe when it is supervised or carried out by a specially trained dentist.
IV sedation has four main effects:
- Local anaesthetic alone
- General anaesthetic
These alternatives may be suitable for you. Your dentist will discuss the relevant options with you.
If you are a nervous patient, all of our Damira practices are experienced in making you feel at ease and providing a stress-free experience. If you have any concerns before attending your appointment, find your nearest Damira practice and contact our friendly team.
Want to speak to someone about treatment options?
Call our Patient Care Team on 0204 548 8616. Working hours are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 8am-8pm Friday 11am-7pm and Saturday 8am-1pm.
Words from our clients
I was very happy with the service I received! I was made to feel very relaxed. Dr Usman explained in detail everything which needed to be done whilst I was holding a mirror and showed me what he was going to do. I was offered the work to be done on my teeth there and then which really pleased me. Highly recommend.
Everyone I saw was compassionate, patient and kind. Having been nervous coming for a check-up and hygienist appointment, there was no judgement and I experienced great care from everyone.
Absolutely brilliant work and the staff are so helpful and friendly they couldn’t do enough for me. I highly recommend this place for anyone wanting staff and dentists that want what’s best for you! No pressure into having unnecessary treatment, they want what’s best for you. They all go above and beyond thank you to the team!
“I had an amazing experience today! Honestly. I Went for 2 fillings. Dr. Yap is amazing. He made me feel very comfortable, answered my questions and just reassured me. I didn’t feel any pain and was calm. Although I was extremely nervous. I am so happy! Even if you are the most nervous patient in the world he will make you feel safe!”
“A huge thank you to dentist Ed, nurse Lois and manager extraordinaire Clare, my phobia kept me up the night before treatment and I still can’t believe how easy you all made it. No pain, loads of support and understanding. I highly recommend your outstanding service.”